Radiation producing equipment includes medical and dental x-ray machines, x-ray diffraction units, electron microscopes, x-ray therapy machines and cabinet x-ray units. The requirements for using radiation producing equipment are found in Iowa Department of Public Health IAC 641,
Chapter 41 https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/IAC/LINC/Chapter.641.41.pdf and
Chapter 45 https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/IAC/LINC/Chapter.641.45.pdf
Following are some of the primary responsibilities for users of radiation producing equipment:
- Register the equipment with EHS, so they can register the unit(s) with IDPH.
- Obtain radiation dosimeters as applicable to your job function. See the ‘Dosimeter Program’ Section for specific dosimeter requirements. NOTE: Dosimeters are required for all staff using x-ray fluoroscopy equipment.
- Use of protective equipment (i.e. lead aprons, shields, etc…) is required whenever staff are in the room with the patient during an x-ray exam, during the use of mobile x-ray equipment, or anytime there is the potential for radiation exposure.
- Inform EHS prior to re-locating or discarding any radiation producing equipment.
- Contact EHS whenever your receive new radiation producing equipment, or when equipment will be used in a new location so that a shielding evaluation can be completed.
- IDPH has published a ‘Guidelines for Diagnostic X-Ray Procedures’, which can be reviewed at http://www.idph.state.ia.us/eh/diagnostic_ray_guide.asp
- Use all safety devices supplied with the x-ray unit whenever possible.