published July 7, 2017
Companies that rent space from the University of Iowa will interact differently with EHS than does the typical research laboratory.
Specific programs and requirements are listed below:
Hazardous waste pick-up
- EHS requires an agreement signed by each company in order to collect its chemical, biohazardous and radioactive wastes. Contact Stephanie Dengler, (384-2741) to discuss such an agreement.
- EHS is required to maintain a complete chemical inventory for all space maintained by the University. As such, the company must provide a chemical inventory to EHS; contact Rachelle Justice, 353-4692, for questions and to set up a new account.
- Annually, EHS tests the performance of each fume hood in University-owned spaces. Contact EHS at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Biosafety cabinet/clean room certification
- The University of Iowa has a contract with certified service companies that perform this work; the contract is available to University staff and companies in UI spaces. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- EHS safety training is available to University staff through ICON. Staff possessing a HawkID may complete courses through EHS (https://ehs.research.uiowa.edu/icon-safety-training-information), but training requirements must be established by each company.
- EHS will NOT conduct audits/reviews of companies in UI spaces. It is the responsibility of each company to establish procedural requirements and maintain associated documentation. A check-list used by EHS safety advisors is available online and may be used as a guide (https://ehs.research.uiowa.edu/sites/ehs.research.uiowa.edu/files/forms/Audit%20Topics%20Checklist%20030917_0.docx); however, depending on each company, additional requirements may apply.