Companies that rent space from the University of Iowa will interact differently with EHS than does the typical research laboratory.
Specific programs and requirements are listed below:
Hazardous waste pick-up
- EHS requires an agreement signed by each company in order to collect its chemical, biohazardous and radioactive wastes. Contact Stephanie Dengler, (384-2741) to discuss such an agreement.
- EHS is required to maintain a complete chemical inventory for all space maintained by the University. As such, the company must provide a chemical inventory to EHS; contact Rachelle Justice, 353-4692, for questions and to set up a new account.
- Annually, EHS tests the performance of each fume hood in University-owned spaces. Contact EHS at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Biosafety cabinet/clean room certification
- The University of Iowa has a contract with certified service companies that perform this work; the contract is available to University staff and companies in UI spaces. Contact Jeff Decker in Purchasing, 335-2762, for more information on the University’s contract.
- EHS safety training is available to University staff through ICON. Staff possessing a HawkID may complete courses through EHS (https://ehs.research.uiowa.edu/icon-safety-training-information), but training requirements must be established by each company.
- EHS will NOT conduct audits/reviews of companies in UI spaces. It is the responsibility of each company to establish procedural requirements and maintain associated documentation. A check-list used by EHS safety advisors is available online and may be used as a guide (https://ehs.research.uiowa.edu/sites/ehs.research.uiowa.edu/files/forms/Audit%20Topics%20Checklist%20030917_0.docx); however, depending on each company, additional requirements may apply.