- Radiation: Beta (100% abundance)
- Energy: Max: 1,710 keV; Average: 695 keV
- Physical: 14.29 days
- Biological: Bone ~ 1155 days; Whole Body ~ 257 days
- Effective: 14.29 days
- 610 cm air unshielded
External, Skin & Eye Hazard
- Routine handling of > 1 mCi quantities of P-32 can present an external exposure hazard to the skin and eyes.
- Critical Organ: Bone (soluble); Lung (Inhalation); GI Tract (Ingestion - insoluble compounds)
- Can deliver a contact dose to basal skin cells and eye lens of about 9,200 mrem/hour per 1 mCi per 1 cm2
- Plexiglas 1 cm thick is recommended as shielding material.
- Whole body and ring dosimeters are required when routinely working with more than 1 mCi of P-32.
- Wear a lab coat and disposable gloves when working with P-32. Change gloves frequently.
- Avoid direct eye contact - work behind a Plexiglas shield or wear safety glasses.
- Use remote handling tools when manipulation unshielded sources greater than 1 mCi.
- Always have a portable survey meter present and turned on when handling P32.