Who do I contact to request waste labels?
Contact Michelle Kempf (5-4143) to request Hazardous, Biological, Universal or Radioactive labels. Please provide your name, department name and building/address.
Where Do I Obtain Biohazard Waste Certification Labels?
- Labels may always be obtained by calling EHS Waste at 5-4143.
- Labels are available at locations where red tubs are stored.
Where Do I Obtain Red Plastic Biowaste Tubs?
- Red plastic biowaste tubs are kept in the dock areas of certain buildings.
- Large red bags that are used to line the tubs are also available at these locations and must only be used for that purpose.
- Laboratory staff is responsible for obtaining containers and liners, as needed.
|If you are in:||Obtain red plastic biowaste tubs in:|
|BB||121A BB (Dock)|
|BBE||121A BB (Dock)|
|MTF - Pod A||A116 MTF|
|MTF - Pod B||A116 MTF|
|MTF - Pod C||C137 MTF|
|MTF - Pod D||D180 MTF|
|SC||SC Dock (in Cage)|
|SLP||Near C4 SSH (Hallway)|
|SSH||Near C4 SSH (Hallway)|
|For other locations, contact EHS at 5-8501.|
Where Do Filled Biowaste Tubs Go? Who Handles Them?
- Laboratory staff should place properly filled/tied/labeled biowaste tubs in the same location as in the past.
- Custodians will transfer the filled tubs displaying a completed Biohazardous Waste Certification label to an area for removal.
What Are the Container Labeling Requirements?
- Laboratory staff must place all biohazardous waste materials in red plastic biowaste tubs that includes all red bag waste, biowaste boxes, sharps container.
- Laboratory staff must complete and attach the Biohazardous Waste Certification label to side of the biowaste tub, near handle.
- Custodians will place a bar code on the tubs to identify the building.
Biohazardous Waste Guidelines and Instructions?
- Definitions of biohazardous waste are found in the EHS Biohazard Waste Guidelines
- How to close a biohazardous waste tub.
- How to label biohazardous tubs
How do I request a pickup of thermometers?
- Submit a chemical waste pickup request. Enter them as solids, whether broken or unbroken. It is acceptable to type “broken thermometer” in the comments if that’s the case.
How do I change a pickup that I’ve already sent a request for?
- Resubmit your request online with the word “resubmit” in the comment section of the form.
I need to request extra containers for Radioactive Waste, how do I do that through the online form?
You can type information about what types and numbers of containers are needed in the Comments field of the online form.
Can I use my own container to collect waste if I run out of the ones you provide?
No, EHS requires you to use containers supplied by EHS for collection of radioactive waste. If you have an emergency need for a container EHS is usually able to get one to you.
Can anybody request a waste pickup or does it need to be the PI?
- Anyone may request a waste pickup.