Fire, Explosion, Police, Ambulance, Bomb Threat, Violence:

CALL 911

Report medical emergencies and life-threatening hazardous material spills (including after hours, weekends or holidays) - call 911.

Work-Related Medical Treatment information:

Click on the document above for guidance related to where students and employees should seek treatment for non life-threatening, work-related injuries.

If you are injured at work, always inform your supervisor and seek medical attention at the appropriate facility (listed above) whenever you're advised to do so.  A First Report of Injury will also need to be completed within 24 hours of the incident. Work with your supervisor to complete this form.

  • If you are exposed to potentially infectious materials, thoroughly wash the exposed area with mild soap and water and remove any contaminated clothing.  Report the exposure to your supervisor and seek medical attention immediately if the exposure involves:
    • a splash of material in the eyes, mouth or nose
    • the exposed skin has been damaged and is non-intact, or
    • parenteral contact, e.g., a needlestick, cut from a sharp object, etc.
  • Note: If you become ill and do not immediately associate your illness with hazards at work, it is still important to inform your physician about what you do and the hazardous materials that are present, especially if you work in a laboratory.

Medical Treatment Locations

For all work injuries or accidents, employees must receive care from treatment locations authorized by the workers compensation insurance claims administrator in Des Moines to receive benefits for medical payments and work absences.  More information is available on the UI Worker's Compensation site.


  • University of Iowa Campus Police can be reached at 335-5022 for non-emergencies
  • EHS can be reached for assistance at 335-8501 from 8 am - 5 pm, Mondays through Fridays.

Illness/Injury reporting

Click on the above to link to learn about additional reporting requirements, e.g., completing a first report of injury, etc. 

All work-related incidents should be reported to EHS, including those involving minor spills, fires, or injuries.  Call 5-8501

  • Depending on the material involved, EHS may be required to report the incident to regulatory bodies, as part of the regulations by which we must abide.  This is a regulatory requirement and no one should fear any negative consequences from reporting incidents. Please be mindful that the University of Iowa places high importance on prompt reporting.

Immediately report any serious work-related incident to EHS (335-8501) or Human Resources (335-2676), specifically one that results in

  • an amputation,
  • in-patient hospitalization,
  • loss of an eye, or
  • death.  

For serious work-related incidents of this nature, regulations mandate that IOSH be notified within certain time-restrictions.  If the incident occurs after-hours or on a weekend, contact EHS after-hours emergency staff (through Public Safety).

Hazardous Materials Spills

Staff that works with hazardous materials should be knowledgeable about how to respond to small, controllable spills of materials used in the work area.  All such areas need to have appropriately stocked spill clean-up kits.

General University Emergency Information

Click on the link above for the University emergency response plan, building emergency and evacuations plans, power failure information, and incident reporting.