Biological Safety Cabinets (BSCs) are among the most common and effective primary containment devices used in laboratories to protect individuals from splashes and aerosols when working with biological agents. Properly maintained BSCs, when used in conjunction with good microbiological technique, provide an effective containment system for the safe manipulation of low, moderate, and high-risk microorganisms (Risk Groups 1-3). BSCs require regular maintenance by professional technicians to ensure they function properly and provide the necessary protection to personnel, product and the environment.
All BSC service appointments should be scheduled with the UI contracted vendor, ENV Services (contact info listed below).
For general questions related to your biosafety cabinet, you may contact EHS by emailing
Contact information and areas of expertise can be found on the Contact Us page.
- Biological Safety Cabinets - W520BO
- This course is recommended initially and annually for the indicated audience.
- Audience: Individuals who handle biological agents in a research lab or other work area and use a biological safety cabinet (tissue culture hood) to limit exposure to potentially infectious agents and/or for product protection. The course is also recommended for individuals using a clean bench in order to explain the limitations of the equipment.
- BSC Awareness for FM - W530BO
- This course is required initially and recommended annually for the indicated audience. A requirement for annual completion may be set by the individual’s department and/or supervisor.
- Audience: Facilities Management personnel who perform maintenance and/or moving services for laboratory equipment.
For further training and registration information go to EHS Safety Training.
BSC Services Vendor Contact Information
All BSC service appointments should be scheduled with the UI contracted vendor, ENV Services.
To contact ENV Services to schedule an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Samantha Sanchez at 800-690-3368. If you attempt to contact Samantha Sanchez and she is out of the office or unavailable at the time of your inquiry, please request Tahirah Ayanna Reed via the same phone number.