The University of Iowa

SAFETYmatters - Hot Work

Article published 11/01/17

Hot Work 

The Hot Work Loss Prevention Program was recently revised and went into effect on October 1, 2017.  The most significant change to the Program is that the standard post-Hot Work Fire Watch is now 60 minutes everywhere on campus, including UIHC.

What is Hot Work?

Hot work is any operation that produces a flame, heat or sparks such as electric or gas welding, abrasive cutting, soldering, grinding, torch work, and brazing activities.  

  • This includes torches, arc welding equipment, portable grinders, and propane torches. This also includes non-rated electrical tools and equipment when used in a hazardous environment.  
  • Basically if you are working with something that is hot or could cause heat/a spark, then you are engaged in hot work.

What are the two types of Hot Work locations?

  1. Temporary by issuance of approved UI Hot Work Permit (Yellow Permit) 
  2. Designated Hot Work Sites with visible “Designated Hot Work Site” permit/certificate posted (White Permit)
  • Formally evaluated and meet the requirements of the International Fire Code.
  • Inspection and verification of proposed designated location will be completed by UI Public Safety or UIHC Safety and Security.  
  • Only be used by trained and authorized individuals.

What is a Hot Work Permit?

The permit is a University of Iowa document that is used to authorize hot work, provide checks and balances, and to identify and mediate risks. A displayed permit is a way to alert and let others know hot work is in progress.  A Hot Work Permit also documents each hot work occurrence to ensure full compliance and minimize risk of fire.

Why do I need a Hot Work Permit?

Why do you need a permit?  Because if you do not have a Hot Work Permit you are NOT AUTHORIZED to do hot work on the University campus!

When do I need a Hot Work Permit?

Any time you will be performing hot work, you are required to have a Hot Work Permit.  

When do I not need a Hot Work Permit?

There are a few exceptions when a Hot Work Permit is not required.  The following operations do not require a Hot Work Permit:

  • Bunsen burners in laboratories,
  • Small electric soldering irons used for repairing electronics only,
  • Authorized grilling on campus, or 
  • Sterno products for official university catered events.

For more information go to this link: