Purpose and Applicability
Personal protective equipment (PPE) is used to create a protective barrier between a worker and hazards in the workplace. PPE includes such equipment as chemical resistant gloves, safety shoes, hard hats, safety glasses, respirators, and clothing such as gowns and aprons.
These procedures are intended to:
- Assist departments and work units in completing hazard assessment surveys for PPE selection.
- Provide resources for employee information and training.
- Demonstrate compliance with safety regulations.
Questions about this topic can be directed here.
- Laboratory Request for Respirator Use (Airborne Hazard) Evaluation
- PPE Hazard Assessment Tool (PPE HAT)
- Respirator (Required and Voluntary) Use Requirements
PPE Awareness for Labs - W157CM
- EHS generic training course is required initially and recommended annually. To finish your training requirement, you must also know specific information unique to your own work area.
- Audience: Personnel using gloves, goggles, safety glasses and other protective apparel.
PPE Awareness for Non-Labs - W156OS
- This course is required one time initially for individuals who use PPE.
- Workers should be retrained if an accident occurs, or if the employee is observed using PPE improperly, if workplace hazards involving PPE are discovered, or if a different type of PPE is used. Some PPE requires a separate course, such as hearing protection and respirators.
For further training and registration information, go to EHS Safety Training.