IAQ concerns are generally related to ventilation systems, the air, materials, and operations inside a building, moisture intrusion, and individual sensitivities.
Procedures for Evaluations and Responses
1. Building Maintenance
- Department Management and faculty and staff shall contact building maintenance for initial requests.
- Common contacts are:
- Athletics (Facilities Office, 335-9410)
- Business Services/Tenant Properties (Heritage Property Management, 351-8404)
- University Housing/Residence Services (Facilities and Operations, 335-9970)
- UIHC (Facility Operations Maintenance & Engineering, 384-5208)
- UI (Facilities Management Work Control Center, 335-5071)
- If the issue is not resolved, building maintenance will inform the department and forward results of the investigation to Environmental Services.
2. FM Environmental Services (319-335-5500)
- Environmental Services will conduct an expanded investigation by evaluating basic air quality parameters in the complaint area and looking for common air contaminant sources.
- In the event the investigation is unable to identify and correct the source of the issue, Environmental Services will contact EHS.
3. Environmental Health & Safety Office
- EHS will look at each case individual and determine the best method to proceed with issues that reach this level.
- Costs related to an indoor air quality evaluation are generally the responsibility of the department with the affected person(s) or the requester of the services such as a medical provider or workers compensation carrier.
- University service units will determine costs on a case-by-case basis, taking into account availability of staff experts, resources, and factors involved in the case.