eIBC Registration Document Management System
To access eIBC Registration Document Management System, enter or copy/paste the following url in your web browser: http://eibc.research.uiowa.edu, and log in using your HawkID and password.
- The eIBC team has tested the program function using Internet Explorer, Mozilla/Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari. Additional browsers may or may not have full function.The eIBC team recommends the use of the Mozilla/Firefox or Google Chrome web browsers in order to take advantage of some of the navigation features available.
- If internet Explorer is used for completion of the form, the size of the boxes cannot be adjusted. For entries that are more than a few sentences long, it is recommended to use a word processor program (such as Word) to create your entry, and then copy and paste it into the text box. Please note that only text and not formatting (bold/underline/italicized font, page breaks, images, etc.) can be pasted in the text box.
Quick Tips for the Navigation of the eIBC Registration Document Management System
To start a new rDNA Registration Document (rDNARD) from a blank form, click the “New rDNA Protocol” button at the top of the eIBC homepage.
- The protocol is presented in several sections which are navigated using a drop-down menu on the far right of the toolbar; the first section is “General Information”.
- Each section can be accessed by clicking on the section title in the drop-down menu from the toolbar, or using the previous/next section buttons at the bottom of each section.
- The protocol is saved each time a new section is loaded (using the previous/next section or dropdown menu).
- The protocol can also be saved during work in progress by clicking the “Save rDNA Form” button at the top or bottom of the page.
Answering rDNA protocol Questions
- This form includes many “Smart” questions, for which the response to one question will affect the presence or absence of subsequent questions. As a result, many of the question numbers will not be sequential; this is not a mistake or problem in the form, but a way to reduce the number of irrelevant questions a user would see.
- Help icons and blue text links are located throughout the rDNA protocol, which link to additional information regarding the question. Clicking these icons/links will bring up a separate web browser/tab with the appropriate help material.
- Some fields have drop-down menus which include common responses.
- After clicking anywhere in the field or on the arrow to the right, you can then select the appropriate response by placing your cursor over it and clicking.
- If you need to move between fields without the use of mouse (i.e. using the keyboard only), please be aware that using the “up” or “down” buttons as you navigate the page may change your selection on a dropdown menu.
- Use the “Tab” key to move between fields and the “space bar” and “enter” keys to manipulate the dropdown menus.
- Please note that hitting the “Enter” key when working in a text-entry field will activate the “Save rDNA Protocol” button and the webpage will be refreshed after saving.
- Large text boxes can be expanded by clicking/holding the mouse button on the bars in the bottom right corner and dragging it to the appropriate size. In some browsers/versions, this feature is not available.
- Please note that copying and pasting text into the text box will not retain any formatting (bold/underline/italicized font, page breaks, images, etc.).
Repeated Question Sets
Some sections include repeatable sets of questions which pertain to a specific topic (Funding source, Personnel, Lab Location, etc.).
- Each question set is indicated by a black box surrounding the repeated area.
- These question sets allow answers for each individual item, and additional entries can be added.
- For some sections, when more than one repeated set has been answered, the entries will “collapse” to make the page easy to read and navigate.
- To expand a collapsed entry, click the header or the arrowhead to the left of the desired entry.
- To add a new entry, click the “Add” button below the last question set; to delete an entry, click the “Delete” button at the bottom of the question set for that entry.
In the three personnel sections (Principal Investigator, Co-Principal Investigator, and Technical/Student Personnel), the University of Iowa Directory will be used to search for each person being added.
- Enter the HawkID or at least three letters of the last name of the person to be added. A spinning icon will appear to indicate that the program is searching.
- Select the appropriate person from the list of names that appears.
- If too many names are found, the search can be refined by adding additional characters or adding a comma after the last name, followed by the first initial/name (e.g. Doe, John). Please select the person to be added from the directory, and refrain from selecting ‘Create New Record’ whenever possible. If a new record is created for a person that already exists in the directory, the system will be unable to link the user to his/her existing training records.
- Once a name for the list is selected, many of the fields will be pre-populated with that person’s information from the University of Iowa Directory.
- Confirm that all details are current and revise/add information as appropriate.
- Required training courses will be displayed depending on answers to questions as to whether the person will be actively working in the laboratory.
- Personnel training information will be automatically populated from electronic records for all paid UI employees. Please note that for unpaid students and visiting scholars with a guest ID, the training records will automatically indicate courses not complete. In such cases, the forms will be manually updated by Biosafety Staff upon submission.
- If training requirements are incomplete for one or more persons, the rDNA protocol can be submitted for review; however, final IBC approval will not be granted until the appropriate training and any other information is completed for all personnel.
Protocol Summary Page Menu Options:
From the eIBC Home page, click on the blue rDNA protocol number from the list of rDNA protocols at the bottom of the page; the Protocol Summary page for that rDNA protocol will display. On the right side of the display is the “Action” button; click the button to see a menu of actions available for this rDNA protocol.
- Edit: make and save edits to any section of the rDNA Registration Document (rDNARD) or amendment currently in draft or revision status.
- Compare: compare the most recent version of the rDNARD to a previous version (draft, approved, etc.).
- Amend: begin a draft amendment to an approved rDNARD. This action is only available on an approved document for which an amendment is not currently in draft or under IBC review.
- Renew: start a renewal rDNARD from the currently approved version of an rDNARD for the purpose of continuing the same project.
- Copy: Create a copy of the existing rDNA protocol to edit and submit as a new rDNA protocol (including duplicate submissions for funding purposes).
- View: read-only access for the purpose of viewing and/or printing the rDNARD.
- Withdraw: withdraw a submitted rDNA protocol or Amendment currently under IBC review. This will revert the status from In Review to Draft, and allow the submission to be edited or deleted. This option should only be used in circumstances where a PI no longer wishes for the rDNA document or Amendment to be submitted to the IBC.
- Delete: permanently delete an rDNA protocol or Amendment; this can only be done for a form in Draft status. This action cannot be reversed.
- Workflow: view the workflow history of this rDNARD, including the dates of submission, approval, and the review process.
Not all actions are available at all times. For example, while the status is “In Review” an rDNA protocol cannot be edited by the researcher and this option will not be available.
For full detailed directions of the eIBC Registration Document Management System, please see the eIBC User Guide.