Class 3B lasers and laser systems require a written procedure if:
- The laser beam produced is a wavelength invisible to the eye; or,
- The laser produces a continuous wave visible beam of more than 15 mW.
Helium-Neon lasers with 15 mW or less normally do not require a written procedure; however, all other safety requirements for this class of laser apply.
All Class 4 lasers and laser systems require a written SOP.
Laser usage SOPs should include the following information as a minimum:
- Laser operating procedures
- Laser safety-check procedures.
- Laser maintenance procedures
- Service procedures
- Alignment procedures
- A description of the Nominal Hazard Zone for each procedure.
- The use of protective eyewear and other personal protective equipment as appropriate.
- The above listed content can often be found in the operation manual supplied with the laser.