F. Answering rDNA Protocol Questions
- This form includes many “Smart” questions, for which the response to one question will affect the presence or absence of subsequent questions. As a result, many of the question numbers will not be sequential; this is not a mistake or problem in the form, but a way to reduce the number of irrelevant questions a user has to answer.
- Help icons (?) and blue text links, which link to additional information regarding the question, are located throughout the rDNA protocol. Clicking these icons/links will bring up a separate web browser/tab with the appropriate help material.
a. Dropdown Fields
- Some fields have drop-down menus which include common responses.
- After clicking anywhere in the field or on the arrow to the right, you can then select the appropriate response by placing your cursor over it and clicking.
b. Keyboard-Only Use
- If you need to move between fields without the use of mouse (i.e. Using the keyboard only), please be aware that using the “up” or “down” buttons as you navigate the page may change your selection on a dropdown menu.
- Use the “Tab” key to move between fields and the “space bar” and “enter” keys to manipulate the dropdown menus.
- Please note that hitting the “Enter” key when working in a text-entry field will activate the “Save rDNA Protocol” button and the webpage will be refreshed after saving.
c. Text Fields
- Large text boxes can be expanded by clicking/holding the mouse button on the bars in the bottom right corner and dragging it to the appropriate size. In some browsers/versions, this feature is not available.
- Please note that copying and pasting text into the text box will not retain any formatting (bold/underline/italicized font, page breaks, images, etc.).
d. Repeated Question Sets
- Many of the sections include repeatable sets of questions which pertain to a specific topic (Funding Source, Personnel, Lab Location, etc.).
- Each question set is indicated by a black box surrounding the repeated area.
- These question sets allow answers to be provided for each individual item, and additional entries can be added until all are listed.
- For some sections, when more than one repeated set has been answered, the entries will “collapse” to make the page easy to read and navigate.
- To expand a collapsed entry, click the header or the arrowhead to the left of the desired entry.
- To add a new entry, click the “Add” button below the last question set; to delete an entry, click the “Delete” button at the bottom of the question set for that entry.