The purchase, use, and destruction of controlled substances is governed by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners (IBPE). Principal Investigators (PIs) are responsible for registering with both the DEA and IBPE and will be subject to strict regulations controlling storage, inventory and purchase, receipt, dispense/use and disposal records. PIs may be subject to inspections by IBPE and/or DEA.
Questions about controlled substance use in research can be directed to:
Non-animal use - Rick Byrum, EHS Chemical Hygiene Officer, 335-9379
Animal Use - Mike Andrews, IACUC Training & Compliance manager, 335-9687
Questions about clinical use/patient care of controlled substances should be directed to UIHC Pharmacy.
- Controlled Substances in Research - W501CM
- This course is recommended for personnel who use controlled substances in their research.
- Audience: Personnel who use or plan to use controlled substances as part of their research.
For further training and registration information, go to EHS Safety Training.
- Annual Inventory Record
- Authorized User Signature Log
- Distribution/Use Record
- Initial Inventory Record
- Institutional Disposal Form
- Power of Attorney Form
- Record of Purchases
- Frequently Asked Questions