Recombinant nucleic acids and organisms can also be subject to the regulations under the Select Agent Program. These include:
- Nucleic acids that can produce infectious forms of any select agent viruses.
- Recombinant and/or synthetic nucleic acids that encode for the functional form(s) of any select agent toxin if the nucleic acids:
- Can be expressed in vivo or in vitro.
- Are in a vector or recombinant host genome and can be expressed in vivo or in vitro.
- Viruses, bacteria, fungi, and toxins listed above that have been genetically modified.