When purchasing flammable liquid storage cabinets the following specifications must be met:
- Cabinets must comply with NFPA and IOSH Standards.
- Cabinets must have self-closing door(s), with red lettering stating "Flammable Keep Fire Away".
- Two doors are required on all cabinets except 10 and 20-gallon sizes where one door is required. Where two doors are required, they may be either bifolding or hinged on each side.
- Cabinets must be of approved metal construction and meet minimum construction requirements:
- Bottom, top, sides and door(s) of cabinet shall be at least No.18-gauge sheet metal and double walled 1 1/2-inch air space.
- Joints must be riveted, welded or made liquid tight by some equally effective means.
- Door must be provided with three-point latch arrangement and the doorsill shall be raised at least two inches above bottom of the cabinet to retain spilled liquid within the cabinet.