The following steps are required for individuals involved with the preparation and/or administration of radioiodine therapy doses:
- Obtain a thyroid bioassay within one to four days following the administration. Contact EHS to schedule this bioassay.
- Therapy dose preparations involving aqueous solutions of sodium iodide are to be performed in an operating fume hood with a current EHS airflow performance sticker.
- Always wear disposable gloves and a lab coat when preparing or administering I-131.
- Monitor hands, feet and clothing for contamination after each procedure prior to leaving the area.
- Transport therapy doses in shielded containers. Following administration, treat the outer surface of the shielded dosage container as contaminated until proven otherwise by a radiation survey.