Thyroid and/or urine bioassays are performed for personnel for whom internal exposure to radioactive materials is considered most likely.
Bioassays are normally performed for:
- Users of unbound radioiodine.
- Individuals using large quantities of radioactive materials as determined by EHS.
- Declared pregnant radiation workers working with unsealed radioactive material.
- Individuals with accidental or suspected intake of radioactive material.
- Anyone who suspects that they have had an intake of radioactive material through any pathway (for example, ingestion, inhalation or skin absorption) should contact EHS immediately at 335-8501 so that an evaluation can be performed.