BSL1 / RG1 Agent or “Small spill” of a BSL2 agent
A spill is considered to be small if it is easily contained, has not generated infectious aerosols, and is not considered to be a significant threat to the personnel in other areas of the building.
- Wear disposable gloves and a lab coat.
- Soak paper towels in disinfectant and place over the spill area, allowing sufficient contact time with the disinfectant (20 minutes- most commonly used: freshly-prepared 10% dilution of household bleach).
- Clean spill area with fresh towels soaked in disinfectant.
- Pick up any broken glass with forceps and place in a sharps container.
- Put all paper towels/sponges used in the cleanup into a biohazard bag and autoclave before disposing.
- Thoroughly wash hands with soap and water.