All work with radioactive material should be conducted in a manner designed to keep radiation exposure “as low as reasonably achievable” (ALARA).
- Review protocols involving radioactive materials to determine which activities have the potential to produce contamination, volatile materials, and/or aerosols. Work efficiently to minimize radiation exposure.
- Know emergency information and have available in the posted area. Consider all hazards involved in the work, such as mechanical, electrical, chemical, biological, and fire, as well as radiological.
- Work over absorbent, plastic-backed bench paper or spill trays to prevent contamination of facilities.
- Keep radioactive waste containers covered/capped when not in use.
- After working with radioactive materials, personnel should wash their hands and check hands and shoes for contamination.
- Monitor work surfaces and equipment for contamination.