2.2.1 Definition – Major Spill Criteria
- Constitutes an emergency situation.
- Spreads rapidly.
- Endangers people or involves serious personnel injury.
- Endangers or is entering the environment.
- Presents an inhalation hazard.
- Fire hazard.
- Personnel in area cannot safely manage the spill.
2.2.2 Major Spill Response Procedure
- Evaluate spill to ensure it meets the definition of a major spill and is not spreading or reacting with other materials, increasing the nature of the hazard.
- Dial 911 to report the major spill. If necessary, communicate need for medical assistance.
- Notify appropriate co-workers, the BET and other potentially affected building occupants.
- Assess extent of evacuation, and respond appropriately. The BET primary contact may need to implement the evacuation plan in section 2.3.
- The primary contact, with the Go-Kit, exits the building and awaits the arrival of emergency responders.
- Gather spill information and provide to the BET.
- See section 2.4 to determine if University notification and reporting should be done.
2.2.3 Major Orphan Spill Response Procedure
Manage spill as major spill response.