- Store hazardous liquid containers in a pan or tray big enough to hold the contents if the container breaks or leaks.
- Buy liquids in plastic coated bottles.
- Use bottle carriers for protection and containment.
- Put pans under experiments.
- Use traps on vacuum lines.
- Use carts designed to prevent materials from sliding off the cart.
- Have sink stoppers and drain covers handy to prevent material from entering drains.
Tip: Use the Spill Response Quick Guides as training tools for the lab (see Resource for 13.6 Spill Clean-up Procedures below).