EHS's Biosafety Staff, in conjunction with the PI and the employee(s) involved, will evaluate the circumstances of the exposure incident. The goal of this evaluation is to identify and correct problems in order to prevent recurrence of similar incidents. An Incident Investigation Form will be completed during this evaluation. The procedure includes:
- Documentation of the route of exposure and circumstances under which the incident occurred.
- Evaluation of the policies and "failures to control" at the time of the incident.
- Recording engineering controls that were in place at the time.
- Recording work practices and protective equipment or clothing that were used at the time of the incident.
- Determining what action(s) could prevent this or a similar incident in the future.