13.0 Transportation

Controlled substances must be shipped to the licensed researcher’s address, as indicated in the DEA registration. Once received, the controlled substance should be opened to verify the contents and any discrepancies should be rectified with the supplier. If discrepancies cannot be rectified, DEA should be contacted. 

From the time a controlled substance is accepted until it is consumed or disposed of, a disposition record (also known as the chain of custody) must be kept at each point where the substance changes hands or is used. The record is completed at each point by the person delivering the substance and includes the name of the substance, the quantity, and the signature of the person receiving it. The person making the withdrawal must document all records of withdrawals of controlled substances from storage (see Appendix B4: Controlled Substances Dispensed/Used Record).

Transferring controlled substances between laboratories in a licensed researcher’s location requires documentation for receiving controlled substances for daily use by the authorized daily user. The transport between laboratories of the registrant must be in a locked storage container (or safe) and transported by the registrant or authorized agent with appropriate dispensation/custody forms. However, researchers must not leave the controlled substances unattended.  Unless a controlled substance is in the process of being used for research, it must be securely stored in a safe or vault. The authorized researcher is responsible for ensuring any transport is conducted in a secure manner to prevent any diversion.  See SOP for Transporting Controlled Substances Through Public Spaces.

A non-clinical practitioner who also possesses a “Researcher” category license for a separate location must transfer and transport the controlled substances only after receiving the approval of DEA/IBPE, using appropriate DEA Form 222 or invoices (the same way it was purchased).