- The laboratory is to notify Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) that it has a controlled substance that needs disposal. Contact: Bill Murray, 5-4624 (email@example.com)
- An EHS representative will visit the lab prior to disposal.
- On the agreed upon date of disposal, EHS will bring a Controlled Substance Disposal Kit and provide directions on how to conduct the disposal.
- Disposal will be conducted by the Registrant or their duly appointed authorized employee and witnessed by an EHS employee.
- Disposal consists of blending an aqueous solution of the controlled substance within a container of kitty litter.
- EHS will take possession of and dispose of the container of controlled substance/kitty litter blend.
Registrant/Authorized Employee makes a record of disposal in his/her usage log that includes:
- Date of destruction
- Method of destruction
- Address of the location at which it was destroyed
- Name and quantity of substance
- Name(s) and signature(s) of the registrant’s authorized employee(s) and EHS staff who witnessed the destruction
The same information must also be recorded on DEA Form 41. A copy of the DEA Form 41 must be given to EHS. Each registrant must also keep a copy of the completed DEA Form 41 as required by 21CFR1304.22.
Per DEA’s requirements, the Registrant must also notify EHS that reporting to DEA has been accomplished by providing a copy of the report to the EHS Environmental Safety Compliance Specialist (ESCS). If notification is not received, the EHS-ESCS will follow-up with the Registrant to ensure the required report is made.